History of The Frenchtown Inn
In 1805, Frenchtown founder Paul Henri Mallet-Prevost is said to have built the town's first hotel to serve the river and ferry traffic. The town was a favorite stop-over for people travelling by horse and carriage, or by riverboat, between New York and Philadelphia. In those days, the Frenchtown Inn was called the "Warford House," and Frenchtown was known as the "Sunbeam Town," named by its settlers, the French Huguenots.
In 1838, the present hotel was completed and named the "Railroad House," in anticipation of the Phillipsburg-to-Trenton rail line that would open through Frenchtown 15 years later. You can still see the mile markers enumerating the miles between these two destinations along the towpath that runs along the Delaware River.
In 1875, the small hotel grew as the town prospered, with thriving local mills, river traffic, and of course, the railroad, which passed right by the Inn on the still-existing towpath.
The 1900's saw the hotel prosper with the Roaring Twenties, and then gradually slide into disrepair with the Depression and the decline of river traffic and the railroad. The author Nathaniel West resided in these halls during the 1930's, where he wrote most of his works. After his death in 1940, the Inn operated again as a tavern and boarding house, under various owners throughout the years.
Since 1985, an on-going renovation project was started. The first floor was transformed into three beautiful dining rooms and a bar area, which resulted in a fine dining restaurant in Frenchtown. The restaurant has perennially been rated among the top in the State. In 1996, Tom, Laura, Andrew, and Colleen Tomko purchased the Frenchtown Inn, and uphold its reputation for fine cuisine.